ASA 201: Basic Keelboat
Instructor Qualification Clinic
- Adult Ages 18+
This ASA 201 IQC is the first instructor-level clinic in the ASA keelboat training system and certifies an individual for teaching the ASA 101, Basic Keelboat course.
Are you ready to become a sailing instructor?
Watch this Video from the American Sailing Association about Becoming an ASA Instructor and find out!
If you can answer “yes” to the following questions then you’re ready to become an ASA Instructor!
• Are 18 years of age or older
• Possess at least 3 years sailing experience
• Must have completed the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat student course
• Have teaching experience or can demonstrate an aptitude for clearly communicating sailing concepts to the novice sailor
• Are capable of performing the standards described in the ASA International Log Book
• Have your USCG Six-Pack or Masters Captain’s License.
The Instructor Qualification Clinics (IQC) are not training courses but rather an evaluation of the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and ability to teach ASA classes. This ASA 201 IQC is the first instructor-level clinic in the ASA keelboat training system and certifies an individual for teaching the ASA 101, Basic Keelboat course. ASA Instructor Certification Standards parallel those required for students but at a much higher level and with an emphasis on teaching skills. Candidates are evaluated by a certified ASA Instructor Evaluator and must score 90% or more on the written examination, pass a rigorous oral examination, and demonstrate extensive on-the-water skills.
1. Candidates must be a current ASA member, or willing to reactivate their membership.
2. Candidates must have completed the ASA 101 student course.
How To Register
Apply for the ASA 201 IQC by downloading and printing the ASA 201 Instructor Application Form then emailing the completed application to [email protected].
Schedule of Clinics
For a complete list of our 2023 Instructor Clinics please visit SailTime CBS 2023 IQC List
Have Questions about the clinic or application process? Email us at [email protected] or call
us at (757) 480-7245.
Even though you can earn your ASA Instructor Certificate without holding a US Merchant Marine Credential (captain’s license), you will not be eligible to work as an instructor on US federal waters without your USCG Captain’s License.
(rev 2022-12-14 A)
SailTime Chesapeake Bay South
8172 Shore Dr.
Norfolk, VA 23518