PLEASE NOTE: Reservations will be considered definite and confirmed when deposit is received. Full balance is due 30 days prior to scheduled class, Discover Sail or Charter. If cancellation is received 30 days or more in advance of scheduled class, all monies will be refunded less a 6% processing fee. No refunds or credits will be made if cancellation is made less than 15 days in advance. If cancellation is received between 15 and 30 days prior to the course start date, a $75 fee will be charged. There is a $50 fee for rescheduling. Rescheduling will only be possible if SailTime Virginia Beach can find a replacement(s) for you in the originally booked class. All rescheduled courses must be completed during the same season in which they were originally booked (prior to December 15) .
You can view our current course schedule from the Home Page Have you sailed with us recently? Please post a review on Trip Advisor. Thanks!
SailTime Course Listing
- Introduction to Sailing
- 2 hours on a 22' sailboat where students learn the basic concepts of sailing.
$160 for 2 hour sail
- Crew Competency Course
- One-day course for novice sailors wishing to gain basic experience sailing a 22' sailboat.
$295 for 1 day
- Basic Keelboat (ASA 101)
- Learn to sail a boat of about 20 feet in length in light to moderate winds and sea conditions in familiar waters without supervision. No previous power, sail or navigation skill required.
Our week-end public ASA Basic Keelboat course takes place at either our Willoughby Harbor Marina or Compass Marina locations. The course begins Saturday morning at 9:00 am in the classroom. Then, on the water until around 5:00 pm. Sunday on-the-water training, beginning at 9:00 am until around 5:00 pm. When you complete Basic Keelboat certification, you will have enough practical experience to skipper a sailboat of about 22' in light to moderate winds. Bring lunch, non-marking footwear, drink, plenty of sunscreen, sailing gloves, and a brimmed cap. No flip flops. Course fee includes study text, log book, and a one year membership in the American Sailing Association.
$495 for 2 days
$275 for a 4 hour challenge - no instruction
- Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103)
- Students will learn to skills to perform as skipper or crew of a 30-50 foot boat by sailing in coastal waters. Upon completion students will be able to demonstrate the ability to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered (outboard or inboard engine) keelboat of approximately 25 to 35 feet length by day in moderate winds and sea conditions.
$495 for 2 days
$275 for a 4 hour challenge - no instruction
- Intermediate Coastal Cruising (ASA 104)
- Demonstrated ability to skipper a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered (inboard diesel engine) keelboat of approximately 30 to 50 feet in length during an extended cruise in coastal waters in moderate to heavy winds and sea conditions. Knowledge of provisioning, galley operations, boat systems, inboard engine operation, maintenance procedures, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation including basic chart plotting and GPS operation, mooring with multiple anchors, weather interpretation, and dinghy/tender operation.
$825 for 3 days/2 nights
- Basic Coastal plus Bareboat Charter Certification (ASA 103 and ASA 104)
- This is the course you should complete to charter in the Islands. Four days and 3 nights on the water. The individual can act as skipper or crew of a 30 - 50 foot boat sailing by day in coastal waters. The Standard includes knowledge of boat systems, navigation basics and maintenance procedures. Itinerary always subject to wind and weather, but destinations can include Mobjack Bay, Bay Creek Marina, Smithfield, Deep Creek, Hampton, Willoughby Bay, York River.
$1325 for 4 days/3 nights
- Six Day "Cruise to Learn" Novice to Bareboat Certification Course (ASA 101-104)
- Looking for a great vacation? This course allows you to spend a week on the Chesapeake Bay sailing, while acquiring the skills and certifications to bareboat charter on your own. $3495 for 2 people.No prior experience required. 6 days and 4 nights. Days 1 and 2 on 22' sailboat. Move aboard 36' sailboat on evening of Day 2 through Day 6.
- Coastal Navigation (ASA 105)
- This course enables the student to demonstrate the navigational theory required to safely navigate a sailing vessel in coastal or inland waters. There is no Sailing Skills part to this Standard and practical application of this sailing knowledge is found in the Advanced Coastal Cruising Standard.
No ASA prerequisites, however SailTime HIGHLY recommends a basic understanding of nautical charts and experience reading a compass. Content is appropriate for power or sail. This ASA-certified course is more in depth than the USCG navigation module. Be prepared to study outside of class.
$495 for 16-18 hours of classroom instruction
$245 - Challenge 105 - no instruction
- Advanced Coastal Cruising (ASA 106)
- Able to safely and efficiently dock an auxiliary powered (single inboard or outboard engine) sailboat. Knowledge of basic auxiliary power theory, engine and steering controls, proper use of dock lines, crew communication and safety. Course includes night sailing. Scheduling subject to requests.
Prerequisites: ASA 101-105
$995 for 3 days and 2 nights.
- Sailboat Docking Endorsement (ASA 118)
- This hands-on course allows students to learn theory and practice repetitive docking and casting-off maneuvers to reinforce understanding of theory, methods and skills. Both novice and experienced sailors will benefit from this course as the techniques apply to small outboard powered boats in the 15- to 20-foot range on up to 50-foot inboard single-screw cruising yachts.
$345 for 1 day (includes official ASA certification)
$295 for 1 day (non-certification course)
- Private Instruction
- $75 per hour on our 22' boat for 1 person (2 hour minimum). $20 each additional person per hour.
$65 per hour on your boat (2 hour minimum). $20 each additional person per hour.